Thursday 24 February 2011

Blame Google


And its slightly sinister attempts to configure all accounts together. I used to use another email address to post on here, and it's taken about half an hour to get into my own account. Thanks, but I don't particularly want my gmail (used for work) to link to my Facebook (used for friends) to link to this (somewhere in between).

Anyway, this week in the 40 degree heat I have been mostly knocking teaching on the head in favour of journalism. Probably in anticipation of the World Cup and Olympics here (right after the UK ones provide some tabloid fodder), you can't go anywhere without seeing adverts for English schools. They've often got names which try and make them sound really authentically American, like Wise Up or Uptown. They pay their teachers about £4 an hour, even less if you consider the time you spend preparing and travelling.

In some ways it's been good, as I've met lots of people that way and students have given me ideas or information about stories along the way. I just felt a bit like Will Smith in The Pursuit of Happyness when he's going to work every day in a suit, leaving a homeless hostel, and working at a stockbrokers but hardly being able to afford to eat. Now I'm keeping on a few private students just really for the conversation and excuse to leave the house.

In other news, summer is idyllic here, you can go to the beach every day, drink beer and wake up to another blue sky. The only problem is these little blighters - cockroaches - which are absolutely everywhere.

Next missive soon, if and when I manage to log in again.

No comments:

Post a Comment